Rate the Vehicle:(No Ratings Yet)
The BMW 600 is a four-seat microcar produced by BMW from mid-1957 until November 1959. Partially based on the BMW Isetta two-seater, it was BMW’s first postwar four seat economy car. It was not a sales success, but it began the design process for its more successful successor, the BMW 700.
The 600 used the front suspension and front door of the Isetta. The ability to carry four people required a longer frame, a different rear suspension, and a larger engine. A new perimeter frame was designed, using box section side members and straight tube cross-members. The rear suspension was an independent semi-trailing arm design; this was the first time BMW had used this system. The chassis had a wheelbase of 67 inches, a front track of 48 inches, and a rear track of 46 inches.
The BMW 600 was powered by the 582 cc flat-twin engine from the R67 motorcycle/sidecar combination. This engine, which delivered 19.5 horsepower at 4,500 rpm, was mounted behind the rear wheels. A four-speed manual gearbox was standard, while a Saxomat semi-automatic transmission was available.
Access to the rear seats was by a conventional door on the right side of the vehicle.
- “Up a Class” stretched Isetta
- Interim model to BMW 700
- Introduced August 1957
- Top speed: 64 mph