1946 Whitcomb Locomotive Model No 0440
This locomotive was originally owned by the Union Oil Company in San Francisco, California. It was purchased by Simpson Timber Company for use in the McCleary Door Plant. Diesels replaced…
Rate the Vehicle:
This locomotive was originally owned by the Union Oil Company in San Francisco, California. It was purchased by Simpson Timber Company for use in the McCleary Door Plant. Diesels replaced steam locomotives in the Simpson yard in late 1958. It is powered by two Cummins Diesel engines (referred to as “prime movers”) displacing 743 cubic inches and generating 550 hp. each. The output of the engines directly drives electrical motor-generators. Each generator provides electrical power to two electric traction motors, one each mounted on the axles of each truck. It carries two air compressors for train brakes and a supplemental air compressor for locomotive brakes. The engine carried 750 lbs of sand. The sand was blown by air pressure ahead of each leading axle to improve traction on wet rails. The locomotive weighs 130,000 lbs, thus the 65-tonner designation. The locomotive is referred to as a 0-B-B-0 configuration, meaning no leading or trailing axles and two driven axles per truck (A = 1 driven axle, B = 2 driven axles, C = 3 driven axles). Harold’s plan in acquiring the two locomotives, this one and the Tacoma & Eastern # was to eventually construct a small railroad to provide rides for guests around the Marymount property. He also purchased a quantity of rail for this purpose. Harold was injured while helping unload the rail, an injury that continued to affect him until his passing. Our locomotive carries the name “Lee Willis” on a placard under the cab window. Lee Willis was a 45-year employee in the McCleary plant of Simpson Timber and was the first mayor of McCleary. The locomotive was renovated in Northern Pacific’s Central Shops, dedicated in McCleary on October 10, 1958.
No items found