1942 General Electric Locomotive Class B-B 90_90
Diesel/Electric, 300 bhp
Rate the Vehicle:
This locomotive was originally owned by the Northern Pacific Railway. It was purchased by the Milwaukee Railway and eventually found its way to the Tacoma and Eastern Railway, once operated by Weyerhaeuser Company. Eventually, it was purchased by Rabanco Recycling in Seattle for use as a yard switcher. Harold acquired the locomotive from them, reportedly without cost. It is powered by two Cummins Diesel engines (referred to as “prime movers”) displacing 450 cubic inches and generating 150 hp each. The output of the engines directly drives electrical motor-generators. Each generator provides electrical power to one electric traction motor mounted on one axle of each truck. The locomotive is referred to as a 0-A1-A1-0 configuration, meaning no leading or trailing axles and one driven axle and one idler axle per truck (A = 1 driven axle, B = 2 driven axles, C = 3 driven axles). Connecting side rods transfer power from the driven axle to the non-driven axle, and counterweights help reduce rotational vibrations. It carries one air compressor for train brakes and a supplemental air compressor for locomotive brakes. The engine carried sand to be used to enhance traction on wet rail. The sand was blown by air pressure ahead of each leading axle. The locomotive weighs 90,000 lbs, thus the 45-tonner designation. Harold’s plan in acquiring the two locomotives on the property, this one and the Simpson Timber Co. “Lee Willis”, was to eventually construct a small railroad to provide rides for visitors around the Marymount property. He also purchased a quantity of rail for this purpose. Harold was injured while helping unload the rail, an injury that continued to affect him until his passing.
No items found