Rate the Vehicle:(No Ratings Yet)
Henry C. Stutz began building racing cars in 1903. In 1913 he renamed his company the Stutz Car Company of America and began building luxury cars. When Lincoln, Packard, and Franklin began offering their luxury car with V-12 eninges, and Cadillac and Marmon with a V-16, Stutz could no longer keep up. The Company had insufficient funds to design and build a new engine. Instead Stutz began naming their overhead cam V-8s after the number of valves employed, and thus the SV-16 was born. The car was powered by a 322 cid, in-line, eight-cylinder engine developing 113 bhp.
The car was so well received that in 1931 they introduced a dual ohc engine model they called the DV-32. Despite the enormous success of the company, the Great Depression took its toll, and it was forced to close in 1935.
The last Stutz was manufactured in 1934. Over a 25 year period of production only 35,000 cars were produced. The Classic Car Club of America has defined as Stutz automobiles manufactured during the classic era (1925-1948) as full classics.
- “SV-16” designates two valves per cylinder
- Weight: 4,448 to 5,346 lbs
- Fewer than 300 produced
- Price new: $4,495