Rate the Vehicle:
LeMay volunteers and Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiast members, Pat Barnes and Dick Casey, brought this particular 1924 BSA back to life in 2004. Pat and Bob spent hours tinkering and tuning until the roar of the motorcycle could be heard. This motorcycle features an interesting 3 speed gear box with shift lever mounted to the side of the gas tank and disk brakes, front and rear.
Birmingham Small Arms Company, also known as BSA, began in 1854 in Birmingham, England when 14 gunsmiths grouped to sell arms for the Crimean War effort. They officially formed a company in 1861, signed papers in 1862, and opened a factory in 1863. Bicycles and bicycle components were the main factory output throughout the 1880s, with motorized bicycle production beginning in 1903. The first real motorcycle was created by BSA in 1910 – a 499 cc side-valve.
Production ceased during WWI while BSA pursued its traditional gun manufacturing. In early 1920, they acquired a design engineer from Daimler named Harold Briggs who designed new sporting machines. The popular 1928 Sloper was one of the first new designs from BSA. The first and only two-stroke, a 175 cc unit construction bike was produced for only one season in 1928. BSA’s famous Star series started in the 1930’s with the Blue Star singles in 250, 350 and 500 cc versions. The Empire Stars followed.
- BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) est. 1861
- 1912: Pioneered all steel bodies
- BSA produced rifles, ammunition, motor-cars, folding paratrooper bicycles
- Currently makes air guns/shotguns