Rate the Vehicle:(No Ratings Yet)
The Pittsburgh Motor Car Company was founded in 1897 by brothers Louis and John Clark. The company’s first car was a gas powered tricycle. In 1899 the company moved to Ardmore, Pa. and was renamed the Autocar Company.
In 1901 Autocar was the fifth largest producer of automobiles in the U.S. In 1902 they produced the first “shaft-driven” car, a 6 bhp, 2 cylinder vehicle which traveled from Philadelphia to New York City in a record 6 hours and 10 minutes. Louis Clark of Autocar designed the first porcelain insulated spark plug and patented a double-reduction gearing for rear axles in 1902.
The company began focusing on trucks in 1907, with the introduction of a two-ton truck with a shaft-driven axle. Autocar was the first truck manufacturer to build wheels with wooden spokes instead of wire ones. It introduced its first commercial trucks in 1908. It was one of the few truck manufacturers to make their own engines, transmissions, and rear axles.
In 1953, the White Motor Car Company purchased controlling interest in Autocar and moved the company to Exton, P A. White primarily marketed the Autocar trucks to companies in the construction, mining, logging, quarrying, and oil industries.
- Feature Car for the LeMay Annual Car Show in 2004 and was completely restored by the LeMay Restoration Shop
- Autocar made both vocational trucks and automobiles when production began in 1900, then dropped automobile line in 1911 in favor of the truck line